The Department of Fine and Performing at Loyola University Chicago houses the disciplines of Dance, Music, Theatre and Visual Arts. We are located primarily in the Mundelein Center for the Fine and Performing Arts on Loyola's north-side Chicago Lakeshore Campus. We accept submissions related to our programs and the Ralph Arnold Gallery,
The Ralph Arnold Gallery at Loyola University Chicago produces five exhibitions a year and focuses on local and regional artists and curators. Alongside exhibitions, we offer programming opportunities aimed towards Loyola students and the Chicago community at large. We accept submissions from regional curators and local individual artists to be considered for group exhibitions. Curators may not include themselves in exhibition proposals.
All Loyola University Chicago graduates are invited to submit artwork for possible inclusion in our upcoming alumni exhibition. We invite works in all media, including but not limited to drawing, painting, printmaking, sculpture, ceramics, video, performance, sound art, and design. Works must have been created after graduating from Loyola.
The exhibition will run from October 24, 2019- December 5, 2019.
To apply, submit up to five images or links to sound or video files via this Submittable application by September 1, 2019
Note that Faculty development funds are competitive and limited. There is an annual call for proposals each April for projects for the upcoming year academic year. The majority of funding is issued from that call, but please do apply for funding if opportunities present themselves outside of the primary funding cycle.
We will do what we can to support your scholarship, research and faculty development.
Funds are primarily intended for full-time faculty, but staff and part-time faculty are welcome to submit requests.
The Ralph Arnold Gallery produces four group exhibitions a year and focuses on local and regional artists and curators. Alongside exhibitions, we offer programming opportunities aimed towards Loyola students and the Chicago community at large. We accept submissions from regional curators and local individual artists to be considered for group exhibitions. Curators may not include themselves in exhibition proposals.
Proposals are reviewed on a rolling basis and exhibitions are planned a minimum of a year in advance. Proposals are archived for future consideration.
The Ralph Arnold Gallery at Loyola University Chicago's Lakeshore Campus is seeking a Gallery Assistant for the 2019-2020 academic year.
Student Position Description: Undergraduate Assistant- Gallery Assistant
The Gallery Assistant works with the gallery director, exhibition coordinator, and independently to facilitate the day-to-day operations of the gallery including installation and de-installation of exhibitions, maintenance of gallery and supplies, and serving as a docent during open gallery hours. Candidates must be prepared to carry out physical tasks, exhibit good organizational and technical problem solving skills, interact with the public as the face of the gallery, and maintain a high level of responsibility.
During installation and de-installation of exhibits, the gallery assistant will:
- Spackle, sand, tape, and paint walls and display structures
- Transport pedestals and other exhibition supplies
- Remove window vinyl
- Clean painting equipment
- Sweep and tidy gallery
- Assist in packing and unpacking of work
- Assist in hanging works
- Organize packaging materials
- Assist artists as needed
Throughout the exhibition, the gallery assistant will:
- Develop a strong understanding of the current exhibit so that it can be explained to visitors
- Serve as a docent to the exhibition during open hours
- Record the number of guests visiting during open hours
- Check that the gallery is in good order—lights working, room clean, etc.
- Organize the prep room
- Organize the lighting
- Inventory supplies
Departmental Student Employment Philosophy: The Department of Fine and Performing Arts considers all employees who provide essential technical services as important members of our team. Whilst it is our central goal to provide critical services to students, and a means of financial support to student employees, we believe it equally essential that our student employees gain valuable knowledge, skills and experience applicable in any situation. We anticipate our student employees will develop a good level of competence in:
- Empirical knowledge
- Technical problem solving
Minimum Skills and Qualification:
- Current student at Loyola University Chicago
- Qualify for Federal Work Study
- Able to work at the Lake Shore campus
- Able to work evenings and/or weekends
- Basic math
- Follow complex direction
No previous knowledge in gallery assisting is necessary; successful candidates are encouraged to learn on the job. Employee must show a willingness to routinely get dirty and to lift up to 50 lbs on occasion.
Work Location: Ralph Arnold Gallery, Ralph Arnold Fine Arts Annex, 1131 West Sheridan Road, Lake Shore Campus.
A successful gallery assistant will develop their skills in self-management. A large part of the position involves monitoring the gallery during weekend and evening hours. Throughout the semester, there will be periods of lighter and heavier gallery visitation. The gallery assistant will play a vital role in fostering the sense of community amongst students working in the department. A successful candidate can expect to expand their empirical knowledge of basic skills, tools, and techniques. This position is also an excellent opportunity for a student employee to develop their technical problem solving skills as they may need to employ resources to resolve situations which impact the efficiency of the department as they arise. Because of the responsibility of their position, gallery assistant should expect to be viewed by students as holding some authority.
Marketing & Communications Associate/Gallery Website Manager Job Description
The Marketing & Communications Department of the Department of Fine and Performing Arts is looking for an ambitious a Fine Arts or Communications student with an aptitude for arts marketing to join the new marketing team as our Fine Arts Marketing & Communications Associate/Gallery Website Manager. This position is only open to current Loyola University Chicago undergraduate students. Applicants must have a sophomore standing or higher.
The Marketing & Communications Associate works under the direction of the Marketing & Communications Coordinator and act as a liaison between their respective unit (Fine Arts) and the rest of the M&C team, which is comprised of DFPA students from the three other programs (Dance, Theater, and Music). The Fine Arts M&C Associate will execute a variety of responsibilities in support of the department's M&C initiatives (promotion of public programming, internal communications, brand management, etc). The Associate is expected to give Fine Arts Program tours to perspective students and families as well as attend biweekly M&C Team meetings.
Additionally, the Associate will be regularly maintaining the Ralph Arnold Gallery website, building its social media accounts. The Associate will maintain regular office hours both at the Mundelein Building and at the Ralph Arnold Gallery during its public hours (Thurs: 12-7pm, Fri: 12-5pm, Sat: 12-5pm).
Responsibilities will include but are not limited to:
- Overseeing social media campaigns for Fine Arts public programming
- Executing the campaigns
- Assessing efficacy on overall engagement, ticket sales
- Generating content in line with campaign goals
- Executing internal communications for their respective unit
- Generating content for website (luc.edu/finearts), ralpharnoldgallery.com, Vendini and Emma
- Creating social media content
- Social media posting/streaming during opening receptions
- Coordinating photography shoots for each exhibition
- Serving as a liaison to Director of Fine Arts and the Gallery Director to determine communication needs
- Executing internal Fine Arts communications with majors, minors, and faculty via Facebook and Sakai
- Executing internal Fine Arts/M&C communications to accurately and effectively schedule photographers for classes, rehearsals, and programming
- Assist with the recruitment of prospective students to Fine Arts programming and recruitment events.
- Provide tours to prospective students as scheduled and available
- Proofreading marketing materials
- Access/Handpick photos for marketing and communication use
- Work with the associates from other disciplines, office assistants to complete tasks and provide support for other projects.
- Experience with website maintenance
- Excellent creative and formal/professional writing ability
- Knowledge of and proficiency with Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram
- Strong organizational skills
- Strong self-motivation
- Strong project management skills
- Federal Work Study
- Current Loyola Undergraduate student
- Proficiency with Flickr, Asana, Canva, Outlook, Vendini, Photoshelter, Wordpress and T4
- Knowledge of Chicago visual arts community
- Knowledge of Loyola University departments, campus buildings, organizational structure
- General interest in arts marketing
Job Beginning: September 15 or sooner