Thank you for your interest in the Music Program at Loyola University Chicago.
Application to the Music Major is a two-part process: an application for admission to the University and an application to audition for the major. If you have not completed the general application, please do so here.
The main audition for the Music Major is on Saturday, February 2, 2019. Auditions will also be held on February 22, March 29, or via video, but students are highly encouraged to attend the February 2 audition if possible. Representatives from Admissions and Financial Aid will be in attendance, and tours and an opportunity to meet the music faculty and current students will be more readily available. To be eligible for music scholarships, students must audition before March 1, preferably in person. Please visit our scholarship page for more information.
All students seeking admission to the Music Major must audition.
Audition Dates and Times
The February 2, 2019 audition schedule is as follows:
9:00am - Check In (Mundelein Center Info Desk)
9:30am - Welcome Remarks from the DFPA Chairperson (Palm Court)
9:45am - Welcome Remarks from the Music Faculty (Music Hall)
10:30am - Auditions Begin (Music Hall)
* Details, including your audition time, will be emailed to you by January 25.
The February 22, 2019 and March 29, 2019 audition schedule is as follows:
12:00-1:15pm - Check In (Mundelein Center Info Desk)
1:30pm - Welcome Remarks from the Music Faculty (Music Hall)
2:00pm - Auditions Begin (Music Hall)
* Details, including your audition time, will be emailed to you one week prior to your audition.
To submit a video audition: complete this application and then upload a high quality video to YouTube following the repertoire guidelines below. Please submit your video audition by April 1, 2019. Once your video is ready for review, simply email the URL to Anthony Molinaro, Director of Music, at firstname.lastname@example.org. As long as your Music Major application is complete, and you have been accepted to the University, you can expect to hear back from us within two weeks.
Voice (including students auditioning for the Vocal Performance or Sacred Music Concentration) - two contrasting songs, with at least one in a foreign language. An accompanist will be provided.
Instrumentalists - two contrasting pieces from the standard repertoire. All instrumental auditions are unaccompanied.
Jazz Studies Concentration
- Saxophone / Trumpet / Trombone / Piano / Guitar / Vibraphone - Two contrasting pieces from the standard jazz repertoire including a 12-bar blues in F or Bb. Pianists, guitarists, and vibraphonists should demonstrate ability to play both melodic material and chord voicings. Applicants are welcome to bring play-along tracks (please have your music on a CD or a mobile device with a cord. We will not have bluetooth speakers available).
- Bass - Applicants should demonstrate an ability to walk a bass line for a 12-bar blues (in the key of Bb or F) and for Bb rhythm changes (the chord progression to “I Got Rhythm”). Please prepare one additional piece of your choice. Applicants are welcome to bring play-along tracks (please have your music on a CD or a mobile device with a cord. We will not have bluetooth speakers available).
- Drum Set - Applicants should demonstrate basic time-keeping ability in the following styles at a variety of tempos: swing, bossa-nova, straight 8th Latin, rock/funk.
For questions regarding your application or the audition schedule, please contact the DFPA at email@example.com or 773.508.7510.